The process of enrolling and incarcerating prisoners into your prison is managed by the intake page in your reports folder. From this screen, you can dictate the following things:
- The number of prisoners you receive each day.
- How many prisoners of each risk category you receive.
There are also different modes that simplify prisoner intake.
- CLOSED - Your prison intake is closed and thus no new inmates will arrive at your prison.
- FILL CAPACITY - Take as many prisoners as possible from available intake pools until your prisoner capacity has reached its limited. This is dictated by how many cells/dormitories you have.
- TOTAL PRISONERS - The total number of prisoners that you desire to be in your prison. Prison intake will top up to reach this number each day.
- NUM PER DAY/DAILY INTAKE - The total number of prisoners you want to bring in for each day.
- ALL AVAILABLE - All available prisoners from all available intake pools will be brought in each day.
For each inmate you bring in, you receive a payment. The amount received is dependent on the security category of the prisoner:
- $300 per minimum security prisoner.
- $500 per medium security prisoner.
- $1,000 per maximum security prisoner.
- $2,500 per death row inmate.
In order to receive death row inmates, your lawyer must first research 'Death Row' via the bureaucracy tab. You will also need death row cells accompanied with a parole and an execution room. Ensure that these rooms are designated 'Death Row' via the deployment screen. The death row pool fills much slower than any other category.
Legendary prisoners and prisoners with endangering reputations will arrive among minimum, normal and maximum security categories. It is wise to use Confidential Informants to discover these prisoner types, as their reputations may be hidden, and categorize them into SuperMax or Protective Custody if needed. This must be done manually.
Bulk Intake (EVENT)
As part of a random event, you may receive a call from the Mayor who force transfers a certain number of prisoners on you due to a catastrophe at another prison. This is arguably a very irritating event to undertake, especially if you do not have enough space for all of the new inmates.
Tips & Tricks
- Minimum security prisoners are considered 'low risk' and are easier to control and manage. It may be wise to open your low risk intake for these prisoners if you are a beginner.
- The bulk intake event may also give you prisoners that all belong to the same gang (if gangs is enabled). This can spell trouble for your prison, especially if a fight breaks out.