The Vegetable Allotment is a room added in the Going Green DLC, to grow Vegetables. These crops can be sold as export for profit or used at kitchen for food. The logistics menu's crop distribution option allows you to set up your preferred crop allocation. Unlike the Fruit Orchard, vegetables must be replanted.
While you can set vegetables to be delivered directly to the kitchen, a smarter solution would be to set distribution to a Pantry or Storage first. Pantry is preferred, as it is chilled and will stop grown ingredient from spoiling after 3 days. Then direct those to the kitchen. This way you can create a storage buffer for food in you prison. Sending fruits to kitchen will increase quality of the meal and save money
Vegetable Allotment are tended to by farmers, or prisoners that have passed the Farm Work Safety program or have the Green Thumb reputation. Carrot and Potato seeds are bought in packs of 20, tomato 10, and cabbage 30.
Improving Growth and Automation
Items and machines can help improve several parts such as growth and automating the harvesting process. Hiring the Botanist warden, will double export price for each crop, increase drop chance for seeds, and extend wilting and spoiling time for growing crops and harvested ingredients.
- Compost Fertilizer, High Quality Fertilizer will increase the growth and ripening time by 25% and 50%, and low and high chance of dropping seeds respectively.
- Crop Sprinkler and Drip Pipe will automate irrigation of the field.
- Basic Auto Gatherer, Advanced Auto Gatherer, Auto Harvester and Auto Scythe helps with harvesting, gathering and storing the harvest. See the machines individually for more information.
Various automation options can be enabled in the report->policy tab
- Continuous Planting - On / Off
- Automatically replants your vegetables and crops.
- Automatic Fertilizer - None / Compost Fertilizer / High-Quality Fertilizer
- Automatically buy more fertilizer when you run out.
- Crop Type - Natural Crops / GM Crops (genetically modified)
- Ratio - This sets the proportion of kitchen ingredients taken from farming.
Cabbages and potatoes are unlocked by default, but carrots and tomatoes requires farming researched. The plants require also the correct terrain to grow(dirt, grass, grass corner and flowery field.)
|Type||Seedling time to harvest||Yield per harvest||Average yield per day||Price per Vegetables|
|Carrot Plant||36 Hours||1||0.667||$ 4|
|Potato Plant||36 Hours||3||2||$ 3|
|Tomato Plants||48Hours||5||2.5||$ 4|
|Cabbage Plant||60 Hours||1||0.4||$ 4|
A Shed placed in a Vegetable Allotment, contains several contraband that can be used as weapons. For that reason, security measures should be put in place to avoid dangerous contraband from being moved out of the Vegetable Allotment.
Farming areas are not included in shakedown searches, (except for seeds, fertilizer and boxes). However reports->policy tab allows you to set scheduled search Frequency for farming areas. (Never / Daily / Every 3 days / Every 5 days / Weekly), and what should be searched (Crops Only / Inmate Labourers / Everything).
Note: Guards searching crops and vegetables have a chance of destroying the plant. Any destroyed plant will be moved to compost bin as organic waste. If there is no compost bin, it will be trashed in black bags as everything else.